Wednesday, January 23, 2008

progress

the Pea Pod cardigan is coming along - I've completed the left front and am s-l-o-w-l-y working my way up the back, which is endless inches of plain stocking stitch (on 3mm needles). I am finding the rhythm of the small gauge, though, and it has a very meditative quality...


I have, however, discovered that I have inadvertently made the left front a size smaller than I had wanted.

Rather than rip it out straight away, I am going to work on the back (in the bigger size) and then assess what I am going to do about the front. I suspect I will need to re-knit it, but I would like to stay in my lovely world for a little longer, where by knitting a larger back, the pieces all just magically come together into the most perfect fitted cardigan, ever!


For a little light relief, last night I cast on one of these.(sorry, it's a Ravelry link, but I couldn't find another one quickly)


I have more friends having babies in the very near future and rather than knit lots of boys and lots of girls things, I've decided to work on three non-gender patterns in ecru, and then add trim/buttons, etc when the little ones arrive.

I am changing the gull stitch on the original pattern to something more neutral. On this first one, I really wanted to do a chevron, but the pattern seems to revolve around a 7st count, and the only chevrons I know of are 8 or 12st repeats. If anyone's got any advice, I'd be happy to hear it?

Instead, I went with bands of stocking stitch and reverse stocking stitch, which should give a lovely bumblebee pattern!

The most immediate three babies are all due in 4-6 weeks, so this first one, I am making in 4ply cotton hoping that it will stay warm a little longer...

oh, and the new job? LOVE IT!

7 comments:

Rose Red said...

Yay for new lovely job.

Urk re cardi sizing - I hope it does all magically come together. I too have made that wish on occassions...and sometimes it's even worked!!

2paw said...

Love the PeaPod: I hipe it works out. Sometimes I deliberatley knit the back smaller and the fronts a bit bigger- for two obvious reasons!! It has worked so far!! I just make sure the shoulder stitches have the same number by the end.

amber said...

Hope you don't have to reknit the front (crossing my fingers for you). It's a nice looking sweater!

And I'm glad to hear that you are still liking your job. It makes life so much better when work is interesting :)

Madge said...

So glad you like your new job. But sorry about the sizing mishap. I hate it when numbers trick you....

And you're very clever, you know? Brilliant to be knitting baby things in classic ivory, and then tailoring the buttons/ties as needed. (I have to remember this trick, too. Thanks.)

TinkingBell said...

Fingers crossed for no re-knit - love the baby jacket too - O also like all the really cute wrap jackets and kimonos they have at Drops Design - anything unisex is a great idea!

Michelle said...

Hooray for a great new job.
Have fun with the baby sweater- I made one of those for a friend's baby (in the original stitch pattern, though) and it was simple and effective. Looking forward to seeing how yours comes out!
Also, I hope you don't have to reknit the cardie. Think hopeful thoughts about the potential of blocking!

Live 2 Knit said...

Fingers crossed for your cardi.

Wouldn't it be great if stitch dictionaries were organised not only by type of stitch but counts as well...ahhh it's nice to dream :P