Monday, January 10, 2011

so, how much faith do we place in blocking??

was just about to start the decreases for the toe on my second Shur'tugal and tried it on to make sure I had them long enough in the foot and...

...the second one felt suspiciously low on my calf.


Sure enough, when I got the first one out to compare, it seems I've missed an entire repeat on the leg section of the second sock.

I'm weighing up whether a) I care and b) if I do care, can I really be bothered ripping it out to the heel and working it all again, for the sake of 12 rows?

12 rows in 4ply/fingering weight. 

Seriously - I can block that, can't I?

7 comments:

Rose Red said...

heh heg, I'm not sure you can block that out...but I probably wouldn't worry about it! As long as the sock is not ridiculously short!

2paw said...

I would undo the first long sock's ribbing and 12 rows and then pick up the stitches and knit ribbing to match the short sock. I am obsessive about socks matching though and don't live in the real sock kitting world.
Or you could block it out!!!
Nice socks though!!

Michelle said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog and for what it is worth, here's my two cents... I've never knit socks, but I often face similar dilemmas in my knitting. I usually just plow on and figure I can always keep the item for around the house. Though a grown up knitter would probably say to redo it! Good luck.

Rachael said...

Oh gosh that's a tough one. I reckon I'd have to frog or whatever. I'd need them to match in size at least. Couldn't give a toss about colour or pooling etc though.

Kaviare said...

I agree with both Rose Red and 2paw. I would block it and see if the difference annoyed me. If it did, I would do that with the ribbing. Or if you were SUPER obsessive, you could cut the ribbing, put the sock on a safety line, knit the extra repeat and then graft them. Fiddly, but less of a pain than knitting half a sock.

But then, that is why I don't knit socks, so... don't listen to me!

Wired for Fibre said...

I'm sorry but I'm gonna have to vote for the frog, if it was me it would annoy me every time I looked at them.

Unknown said...

Yoy know what? I might be in the same position, but out of necessity.

I finished one shitgal. And I just know I don't have enough yarn for the second one, unless I do a repeat less in the leg, and maybe even shorten the foot.

Can we just say we've got the gimp twin socks then? Cos there's NO WAY I'm knitting this sock three fricking times.

My opinion is to block it and forget it!