Wednesday, November 18, 2015

calling it

So, you may have noticed a bit of an echo around these parts lately?   If you haven't already given up on checking in to see if there was a new post, that is...

After the flurry of launching Whisky Bay Woollens and finishing items for the Royal Melbourne Show, I took an intentional break to recoup and focus on other things (housework anyone?).  I also took a much-needed holiday and lazed around a pool and beach for a week at the start of October. Then all of a sudden, I hadn't blogged for over a month and I started to question what I would want to say if I were to post?  I pondered this for a few more weeks, and then the resounding question came up:  Do I really want to keep going?    The answer was no...


To be honest, I no longer feel blogging under the banner of kgirlknits fulfills the same purpose for me that it used to.   Over time, I have felt less and less inclined to use this space to share things, and I don't want to get to the point where I feel like things are being said for the sake of "putting up content".  

 When I started this blog over 9 years ago, blog platforms were one of the only ways to connect to the online craft community.  Then along came Ravelry, and Instagram and multiple other forums, and within the blink of an eye you could find all this marvellous inspiration and connection all over the internet. But it also has become kind of overwhelming trying to keep up with it all, let alone post your own updates.

These days there are more immediate forms of connecting and engaging with my creative peers, and I do find Instagram very easy to maintain and keep up with everyone.  It's a format I can check on the go, and whilst it probably isn't as in depth as sitting and reading a well written piece, I'm finding it's good for engagement with the established community and that's enough for me right now.   I'll continue to read other people's posts as long as they feel inclined to keep posting them!


So for now, it's farewell in some ways.  If you feel inclined though,  I would still love to keep in touch!  I'll be on Instagram as @kgirlknits as well as @whiskybaywoollens, and will be logging entries in the Whisky Bay Woollens journal on a semi-regular basis, as well as updates for new collections.

Thank you for all the fun times, the conversations and connections both IRL and in the virtual space alike.  It's been a blast.



 

4 comments:

rebecca said...

Well, this is a big brave day! I will miss this space as it has been a huge part of my own blogging life but as you say, there is Instagram which is a most lovely wee microblogging place. It is very hard to keep up with everything and I think you have to be true to yourself and what remains useful in life and ditch the stuff that drags on you. Glad we will still have Whisky Bay woolies though! Thank you for the generous gift that Kgirlknits has been and best wishes for the future.

Caffeine Girl said...

I certainly will miss you, but maybe this will inspire me to get back to Instagram, which I've played with a bit. I hope you keep going with Whisky Bay and continue your creative journey!

2paw said...

Thank you for your years of entertaining and interesting blogging. Good luck with your patterns and your projects. I don't do The Instagram, but I shall look out for you on The Ravelry.
Love and a wiggly waggly tail....

Trudi said...

Sorry, you are leaving blogging, I've enjoyed reading your posts over the years. Can't say I blame you, I haven't blogged for about four years. Good luck!