Wednesday, March 28, 2007

nana's everywhere


Thanks a bunch on all your kind congratulations on my humble success at the Show - you guys are so loverly!

I have now been crowned the queen of the Nana's by most of my nearest and dearest, for not only winning 1st place in a Agricultural Show for knitting, but for winning it for a tea cosy.

One heavily pierced, richly tattooed arty friend of mine has barely stopped laughing long enough to breathe! He remembers when we used to play at the now de-funct Punters' Club, and is having a leettle trouble reconciling past & present! But, hey, I remember him before he learned who Dora the Explorer was! The pendulum swings both ways buddy!

patience, my friends. One day you will need a knitted tea cosy, and we all know who you will come crawling to... (hee hee)
.
.
The photo above is my quiet little contribution to Carson's vessel Wednesday. It's a small cermaic dish that my Nana used to put out on the breakfast table when I stayed over night at her house as a small child. She used to pop a little honey in it, just enough for my toast - ahh!
.
.
So on this Wednesday night, weary from another long working day, I am thinking "Here's to sweet memories of childhood and a loving Nana that never thought going to that little extra effort for a child was a bother!" (and here's to tea cosies!...and old punk friends...but not Dora the Explorer - that little Spanish miss drives me insane!)

p.s. second Sugar Shack sock is nearly done! yay!! Photos to come...

6 comments:

Rebecca said...

What is the deal with nanas and honey? My nana used to make the best toast with honey. Nobody else I know can make it the same!

chocolatetrudi said...

Pretty dish! I bet your nana did that to prevent you getting toast crumbs in the honey jar!

Ah, the wisdom of nanas.

Rose Red said...

wear your nana-ness with pride, I say!

Carson said...

Heehee, well put about reconciling former and present selves.
I can definately relate; there's quite a few years between me sneaking in underage to the Trade Union Club and me fretting over a kitchener stitch!
Love the honey vessel, how amazing that you've still got it. Are you gonna post it to vessel wednesday?
http://www.flickr.com/groups/vessel/.

Thanks for your comment too by the way. Yes, it was a bit appaling.

Michelle said...

Beautiful honey vessel, and well-won with the tea cozy. (I believe every knitter should make at least one tea cozy. Mine incorporates lyrics by Tori Amos, in intarsia. I am not much of a traditionalist).

I have fond memories of honey toast with my nana as well. Seems to be quite common!

Susan said...

When I saw tea cosies being sold at the Richmond Hill Larder I knew they'd become the latest 'thing'! Great dish!