finished - my first finished knitted piece for 2009.
Taj Mahal, by Gundrun Johnston, is a lovely pattern to knit. It's both well constructed and well written. The lace border at the hem comprises both a knitted on edging and cast of all in one, and the Persian lace (at the neck and first tier of the hem) is gorgeous.
I used Cleckheaton Bamboo, and although I love the drape and softness of the finished fabric, I found it a difficult yarn to knit with.
Firstly, it is by nature a very splitty yarn, having a loose twist construction much like strands of embroidery thread. I was aware that I would need to watch I didn't split the stitches, but I wasn't prepared for how closely I would have to watch every stitch. I knit this garment on 2.75mm needles, so as you can imagine, that's a lotta stitches!
Nevertheless, I was happy to persevere with it as the resulting fabric showed so much promise, and I'm glad I did. This will be a lovely soft garment to wear throughout summer.
However, what left me rather unimpressed about this yarn was the fact that out of 8 balls, every one had a knot in it.
I understand that sometime knots are inevitable, but the frustration caused when knitting in the round, joining in a new ball in a subtle spot, only to discover a huge honkin' knot just as you get to the very front-and-centre of your garment is HUGE.
The amount of tinking back I had to do was very annoying, to say the least. It's a shame, because I felt that it was something that could have been controlled better by the manufacturer, and it was an unnecessary flaw that let the yarn down.
Regardless of all that, I am happy with my new sun top. It's very summery and the colour reminds me so much of the ocean. I have no doubt I will get loads of wear out of it.