Sunday, August 30, 2009

Potter

I finished seaming up Potter last night, and today spent some time carefully sewing on the buttons - ta da!


The top photo is probably the closest representation of the colour of both the wool and the buttons - lairy as it is! The second photo makes it look a bit washed out, but it was the best I could get tonight for some reason?

anyway, about Potter...

I love it!

The pattern is reasonably well written, but presumes an above-beginner level of knitting skills. For example, there are no directions for button hole placement as such - just the indicator for the first pair and you have to work out the spacing for the next two (between a specified measurement relating to the neck). Also, the instructions are detailed for the Left front, but the pattern asks you to "reverse all shaping to match" for the Right front.

Now, I don't know about you, but I'm lazy. I want it spelled out for me, step by step - I don't want to have to work it out myself! I know it doesn't bother some, and well and good for them.

Aside from these little quibbles, I really enjoyed knitting this piece. I like the sleeves - no shaping, so a nice floppy-type cuff. I like the double-breasted effect on the fronts (warm).

I like the buttons I chose too - I picked them up at Bendigo this year and I was thrilled to pair them with this cardigan :)

This has been a very "Bendigo" knit, come to think of it. The wool came from Bendio '08, and the pattern and buttons were Bendigo '09...

lovely place for a knitter, that Bendigo!

16 comments:

Rose Red said...

Nice job! Can't believe you have finished it so quickly. What a great Bendi knit - clearly you'll have to wear it there next year!

cseneque said...

So cool! I love love love the colour, the big funky buttons and collar. Well done, you speedy knitter you!

M* (Melanie) said...

It's absolutely stunning and well done to you for figuring it out successfully. I am terribly lazy (hence have never attempted knitting a garment) and would be really cross if I had to figure out where button holes went. I know they'd end up all skewiff!

It's such a beautiful cardigan and colour. I love it

Tara said...

Niiice! Thw hole thing looks like a really functional and stylish knit. Love that green too!

Chantal Boucher said...

Superbe!

2paw said...

Oh your Potter is perfect!! It is beautifully green and I love the buttons!!! Hope it is cold so you can wear it right now!!

April Klich said...

The sweater looks wonderful and I like the floppy collar.

Sonia said...

I agree with you about 'spelling out' the instructions. Because if the pattern writer doesn't spell it out for you, it makes more work for EVERYONE multiplied.

Great looking cardigan, I love the colour!

Gidgetknits said...

I can't resist - easy to be green in that cute cardigan!

Unknown said...

I love Potter too. RR is right, you'll have to wear it next year.

missfee said...

YUm great cardie - love the buttons and the green
TOPS!!!

Reckless Glue said...

bootiful!!! that green is so fab. well done :)

Donyale said...

DAMN YOU KYLIEEEEEEE....it looks so nice I will have to bump it up my list.

Louise said...

Looks fantastic, really fantastic, to me. xo lj

Emma said...

It looks so warm, and I like the criss crossy stitching on the buttons.

I agree wholeheartedly with the 'reverse all shaping to match'. It's not too hard to work out, but I think it's lazy/sloppy work on behalf of the pattern writer. Having said that, I could imagine that it's an easy way to cut words if there's that constraint.

Rachael said...

I love it! It's so cute! Hopefully (well not really but) it's cool enough to wear to the next meet. But if not then you could just bring it along to show it off all the same:P.