Wednesday, August 27, 2014

An exercise in concurrent monogamy (isn't that bigamy?!)


I'm trying something a little bit different this month with my WIP's, and currently only have two things on the needles!  For me, this is very different to how I usually work.  Usually, I have at least 3-4 projects on the go at any given time, and I work on them as I want.  Although I set goals and have plans well in advance, I also like the flexibility to cast on what I like, when I like.  I'm that kinda gal.

Which is wonderful, nothing wrong with it.  It's a method that works well for me as a general rule.  Not necessarily always conducive to finishing things in quick turn-around though, and I'm usually A-OK with that, however sometimes I get these notions in my head that there might be A Better Way...

The spur behind this notion is two-pronged.  Firstly, I've gone and applied a self-imposed deadline for my Nightingale vest, in the hope that I will be able to wear it to the Craft Sessions (Sept 5-7), and secondly  I signed up to participate in Fiber Trek's Vedbaek KAL.


The shawl is travelling with me to work and appointments, picking Lily up from rehearsals and such.  It's such a lovely pattern, very rhythmic and easily memorised.   I think I've only got 3 repeats to go before I start the edging, too.  The yarn (Shilasdair Luxury 4ply) is a delight to work with as I've mentioned before - soft and smooth; it passes through my fingers and over the needles is a most pleasant way.  Other people in the KAL have already finished and their shawls look squishy and perfect.  I want mine finished and ready to wear too!



Nightingale is at the neck/arm shaping stage, but it seems like there might be a bit of errata in the pattern unfortunately.  I've read through and mapped out the shaping and the row count doesn't seem like it will correspond with what's indicated in the pattern.  I think this is one of the (minor) issues with knitting from translated patterns, and I'm sure I'll be able to nut it out to make it work, but it does mean there's been some knitting/ripping/re-knitting as pattern errors are established...


So that's it for this week.  I've refrained from casting on anything new however I dearly want to get some socks on the needles, having recently replenished the sock yarn stash with lots of delicious goodies, and Lily has put a request in for quite a few Tiny Owl's cute knits, but I've been strong. It's damn hard though!!

How do you work?  Are you monogamy all the way, or do you like to spice it up with variety?   Is there a difference in what you like and what works best, I wonder?

Postscript: One minor quirk about working these two projects - both have a spine stitch section, but one is slipped and the other is twisted, and one is an 8 stitch count; the other a 7.  It can make things interesting, when switching between the two!

5 comments:

Sue said...

I like the 2 projects. The blue one looks very intriguing. I normally have lots of wip's which I work on as I feel like it, it just means that some weeks I finish off quite a few things!

nicole said...

Ooh I can't wait to see that blue one finished, though I'll have to come and visit you in the shop to see, no craft sessions for me :( next year, happening for sure though!
I feel like I'm getting worse and worse at just sticking to one project, I finished two on Saturday, then cast on a sock, a tension square AND a scarf on Sunday! Ooooooops! Too many things to knit, not enough time!

2paw said...

Oh Nightingale is looking so fabulous, I love the pattern. You are doping such a good job to stick to just two things. I flit between a range of crafts and projects!! Tiny Owl, I have made a couple of things but I know a friend would love one of her charm bracelets.

Caffeine Girl said...

It is hard to knit two things that can be confused. I have to avoid that!

Rose Red said...

Wow, your nightingale looks AMAZING! So worth it.

I used to be totally bigamous, but since the children, am fairly monogamous. Not completely, mind...old habits are hard to break, heh! But I'm more likely to finish things now before I move on to the next thing. Mostly. Heh heh.