Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Passion project

I've been working quietly behind the scenes on a bit of a passion project for nearly 2 years,  and I'm now so excited to tell you that my new venture - Whisky Bay Woollens - has gone LIVE today!

I was looking for a new creative outlet and whilst knitting other people's patterns and designs is awesome; I wanted more.  It came at a time when I was really investigating my environment and the organic conclusion was to combine the two elements and turn my hand to knitwear pattern designs.

Over my years of knitting, I have worked with so many different variances of yarn but when it comes down to it, I have realised I love woolly wool.  The rustic, rugged textures combined with it's properties of tactile properties make my heart sing.

I have also always loved texture in knitting, and have often spent days just playing with different stitch pattern combinations just to see what they look like.

'Oceanside' is the first of what I hope will be quarterly releases of collections of knitting patterns.  It's the summation of how I have been influenced by the environment I have submersed myself in for the last decade and a half, and my growth as a knitter over that same time.  It's wild and woolly and beautiful, and i think it has a colour palette that is an expression of natural harmony.


Squeaky Beach fingerless mitts
The first collection includes three accessory patterns - a cowl, a pair of fingerless mitts, and a close-fitting beanie.  All three are named after beaches that have influenced me in one way or another, and are close to my heart.

Balnarring textured cowl
I've aimed to use a variety of yarns that create a tactile response from the knitter, an awareness of how the combination of yarn and textural stitches plays a big part in the pleasure of knitting handmade items..

Woolamai chevron beanie

All three patterns are now available for sale via Ravelry, and full details can be found both there and on the website.

I'm so thrilled to share them with you, and hope you enjoy them as much as I have enjoyed their creation.

6 comments:

KangaRooi said...

Congratulations Kylie, they are beautiful patterns.

rebecca said...

OMG.!!! You dark horse you! This looks so exciting, so amazing, so you! Very very pleased for you. The designs are really beautiful and the beaches just rock. Woweeee!

Caffeine Girl said...

Very exciting! These are fabulous patterns! You have a real talent not only for designing but also for naming. From the name of your new venture to the pattern names, they are all so engaging. I will definitely be making some of these. Stay tuned1

WildflowerWool said...

Congratulations! Very exciting for you (and us!)

Leonie said...

Oh you clever lady, what a wonderful passion project, best of luck for it to be a huge success :-)

2paw said...

Marvellous!! How exciting and they are all lovely patterns too. I love that hat, I knit a lot of hats for other people so I am thinking a nice green pop of colour!!
Good luck and looking forward to more patterns.