Wednesday, August 28, 2013

wanderlust

This week, I am dreaming of travel.  

Travel to far away lands, full of new inspirations and different views. To hear of different accents and languages, to eat different foods, and observe and soak up alternative customs to everything that seems so familiar.



The Shetland Isles and Iceland are high on my planning list.  All that textiles tradition to soak up.  
Chile and Portugal are the next on the list, some warmth to balance the Artic climate.   Ahh, but for the simple but harsh fact of funds (or lack thereof, more pointedly).

I've tried to satisfy (kind of) my wanderlust with some yarn purchases, although purchasing yarn is probably why I don't have a travel fund!.

Misti Alpaca and Berroco Alpaca, to make a thick, warm shawl.  Both are lovely.  




The Berroco wasn't my first pick, but the colour I had paired with the Misti (Sangria) was out of stock so I had to look for alternatives.  I think the brassy green pairs well with the lavender though, particularly now I see them in the flesh.

Work is travelling along nicely on the Girl Friday cardigan.  Still loving it, but not really photo worthy, I'm afraid.  Body is d.o.n.e.  Need to cast on sleeves tonight, then it's just the collar and the button bands.  I'm not fooling anyone including myself with that "just".  They are both some hefty amounts of ribbing to get through...

Grace is in the naughty corner, where I fear she will stay indefinitely.  I think I've lost the love.

but more about that maybe next week...time out can work miracles, so they tell me.

For now, I'm going back to my travel planning.






6 comments:

Jules said...

Oh, plan for Shetland! It will be more than you can ever dream of...

I haven't travelled for a few years but am off to Iran in a month... That will be different in every way, I think, and I'm really looking forward to being somewhere so foreign to what I am used to. A bit nervous too!

Happy daydreaming!

kgirlknits said...

Iran sounds exciting!

2paw said...

Oh, I loved the story about the Shetland ponies and their cardigans.
I used to have the wanderlust but circumstances mean I now travel vicariously through my friends. You're having a slideshow of your trip?? I'll be there like a shot!! It sounds very exciting and I love the pairing of the green and lavender.

DrK said...

oooh ponies! yes i know what you mean about the itchy feet. and once you start travelling its hard to stop.... the berocco alpaca is lovely, i think you will like it, its super warm. great colours.

Leonie said...

The Misti Alpaca is gorgeous to knit with, a shawl will be lovely! Enjoy the day dreaming, it's nice to make plans even if the funds aren't readily available yet :-)

rebecca said...

Glad to see I am not the only one that plans travel around great knitting destinations! That shawl looks just in time for the beautiful warm weather. Alas the Australia winter is so short.